I don't even know where to begin on all the happenings over the last few months that I havent written. A few weeks ago we lost almost my whole flock of laying hens to a dog. Dead bodies were everywhere once again. It really broke our hearts, I have decided not to replace them in the spring like I did the year before. I just can't afford to do it again, financially or mentally. I still have 10 of the 30 something, and that will be enough for us. All of my silkie chicks were locked in, thankfully, so just 2 of my original 3 hens were killed. But my rooster was the first bird I saw dead in the yard.
My White rocks did excellent with my roo's dressing at 13 lbs this year. They plucked beautifully, and had not a single sick bird all summer. The best yet! My pigs did well, all 3 dressed over 100 lbs, 2 dressed over 150. We are happy about that, we just love the good meat that comes from hard work. My lambs did really well, the ram was sold young and put on a spit, we were lucky enough to even get to go to the BBQ, it was just phenomenal. The little ewe went just before thanksgiving, she dressed over 40 lbs and the family who bought it said the meat is just excellent. I am so happy and proud of our little family farm.
We have been having trouble with a neighbour trespassing onto our back property, even had a few trees cut down back there, so we are planning on fencing most of the 20 acres for the sheep next year, as well as keeping people off the property.
My garden had its best year yet, and I know I say that every year, but I am telling the truth, it is a newer garden so it just naturally keeps improving. I also have the perk of composting the chicken manure and putting it in there too! I got at least 100 lbs of beets this year. So I pickled a good 50 litres this year, and made a whole bunch of harvard beets too. I managed to get a whole lot of beans, carrots, and peas blanched and into the freezer too. Nothing is more satisfying than sitting down to a meal of chicken, potatoes, veggies and dessert with almost 100% of the ingredients coming from my own back yard! Oh and I spoiled myself and bought a food processor this year!
Pebbles and the bassets are all doing great, Odie had a rough summer with his lupus acting up rather often, but thanks to a lovely girlfriend who lives all the way in Tennessee Odie now has a beautiful sunhat to keep the sun off his nose and eyes! The cat, Wally in case you forgot is doing well, still coming out of his shell. We had some mice sneek in this summer and Wally would catch one every other night or so. He has really impressed me and I think that I actually like him! But don't tell anyone!
Hubby and boys are all doing great, they all work so hard around here. We put a new steel roof on our house this summer, (dark green) I just love it! We managed to get the boat into the water a couple of times, host our annual fall bbq, go to a couple of other bbqs, and had good times with both family and friends. What a lovely 2012 it has been!
I will get back to my weekly routine now that its fall, I have some great stories in mind, and a heart full of love to share. So till next time folks, please remember to adopt don't shop, and spay and neuter your pets! And if you have a black cat please keep him indoors with Halloween coming in a few short days. Happy Halloween 2012!
Oh there you are! I've missed you bunches! Oy! you sure have been busy and blessed this year despite the sadden loss of chickens. Sorry about that btw. But WOW! the rest of your summer and fall! Sounds like you will have a delicious winter :D
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your new roof too! That's something we trying to get done before winter too :) Anyway, so Glad you are back!
If you only knew Mammy, thank goodness we are optimists!
ReplyDelete