Things have finally slowed down for me enough to take a few minutes to post an update on all the latest happenings on the farm here, and in my fair city. Timmins 9 fire is now classified as "Under Control" it maxed out at 70 kms long and 10 kms wide. It managed to jump one of our main thorough fares of the north, and jump a lake. Cottages on the lake edge (including my in laws place) were all spared thanks to the great fire fighters hard work. More than 200 sprinklers were put onto cottage roofs and left to run there for days, saving millions of dollars worth of buildings and even more memories. The fire hasn't grown for a few weeks now and we have received plenty of rain, which really helped. The 80 fire fighters from the beautiful province of British Colombia even got to fly home the other day. I am sure very glad to see their friends, family's, and loved ones. We are all stress free and happy now up here!
The farm is going strong as can be. My vegetable garden is in, except for my potatoes. My old and trusty rusty rototiller died on us and just won't start again. So we borrowed one from a friend to get the earth turned so that we could plant. The garden looks beautiful!
My meat birds are growing like weeds, a few are over the 6 pound mark now, and will be ready for slaughter in a few weeks. My layers have all settled in nicely and I am getting between 16 and 20 eggs a day now. I still just love walking out to the back yard and seeing my lovely ladies running towards me.
I managed to find a beautiful white silkie rooster. He wasn't with us for very long before a fox came and got him and one of his hens. I kept all the eggs from the other 3 hens and put them into an incubator. Half the batch is due to hatch on Monday then the other half on Tuesday. We are getting very excited about seeing these new little "fluffies" in just a few days.
My lawns are all green, except the chicken yard which is now just down to dirt! The dog kennel went from a bright yellow only a few days ago to puffy white balls tonight when I look out there. I just love this time of year. The hounds and Pebbles are all doing good. Odie ended up getting a different kind of ear drop for his ears and a new antibiotic pill too. It really seemed to kick that bacteria in the butt. The family is all good, I am still working lots, and was even promoted at work to head cutter. That earned me a $1 raise so I am now officially making the most an hour that I ever have. I am still loving my job, but am looking forward to only part time for the summer holidays!!
No comments:
Post a Comment