Now however, I am even more edgy, first that that dog might show up again, and then what do you do? Secondly that the lynx, might show up, at least with a lynx, I know that it will only kill one, then take it away and eat it. It is making me very tempted to get a bigger guard dog to protect my flock, even I suppose that the ducks even need protection. But I think that for the time being, there will be no convincing my hubby, but however I am going to keep watch for a Newfoundland Hound for sale on our local classified website. Great family dog, loyal, and trustworthy, protective with its life for the family it is meant to protect. So I will watch for the next year or so, until I find one, and if I don't I will go to a good breeder in Southern Ontario.
So I have a sick duck in the house, I don't have the slightest clue what is wrong with it, but it seems to have picked up a lot over the last day, compared to the first day it came in, very lethargic, and awful looking. My youngest has taken a shine to the little thing, so has Hoover actually, Mothering the little thing when ever the opportunity arrives, licking the little guy constantly. My little guy has named him Cujo, as odd name I thought for a duck, and we don't even know its sex yet. The duck is still quite young, and is NOT a runner, but some other breed of duck, but it sure is cute, I hope it makes it. I took "Steve" my big dark duck, and put him in the storage side of the chicken house, where Luigi (the rabbit) lives. So "Daffy" was lonely and I put him in with my lonely little white runner duckling, they seem to be getting along rather swell, and have bonded out there in the pond. Maybe tomorrow I can introduce this other duck to them two then let those 3 back with Steve. A rather long and complicated process, just to have everybody get along.
Been busy
I still have lawns to mow, gardens to till, potatoes to hill, a basement to finish painting, trees to be chopped down, there really isn't a day of "boringness" around here, because if it happens to be a cool and rainy day, there is always laundry and other housework to be done! Everybody in the house is living happily and harmoniously, well as happy as Pebbles can be living with Bassets. We took her to the Cottage on Sunday, and boy does she ever shine out there, she loves it, no bassets around at all, a big lake, with more duckies than she can count. She is a free spirit, and is wonderfully obedient and quiet when there. I think that the cottage is her place of "Zen" as it is to most people. Look at your dog, they really do have this living in the moment thing figured out, I think that we all need to take a lesson or two from our furry friends. Peace Out!
Thanks so much for the update! I've been watching, and waiting to here that things have settled. So you're thinking of looking into a Newfie' huh. If I may make a suggestion, look into the Great Pyrenees breed. The Great Pyr' is an excellent family dog, completely outside (even in the north), the truest of guardians for families and farms. BTW: looks like you all will be toasty warm this winter :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Mammy. The Pyr huh, I was under the impression that they weren't the best around kids. Will definitely look into the breed when the time comes. Was also thinking maybe an Australian Shepard, how does that breed sound to you? And on the warmness, we always are its a shorts and t-shirt kind of house in the dead of winter. :)
ReplyDeleteAustralian Sheperds,ohhh a very pretty breed. Another good farm/and family dog. They are a medium size. Your Newfie, and the Pyr are large to giant. They shouldn't have very much of a problem taking on whatever needs to be handled ;) Other blood thirsty dogs, big cats,etc.. ;) Ours is part Pyr and part Golden :)
ReplyDelete