The Hounds Of Silence by Noel Campbell
Hello mouthwash my old friend I've come to rinse with you again
Because a basset softly creeping Licked my mouth while I was sleeping
And the dog smell that was planted in my brain
Still remains
And haunts me with the breath of bassets
In crowded halls the bassets roam Leave drifts of hair like forest loam
'Neath the halo of kitchen lamps, I turned my back to insistent pants
When my ears were stabbed by “aroos” of a basset pack
That wants a snack
And steamed the breath of bassets.
And in the backyard grass I saw Ten thousand poop piles, maybe more.
People stepping without looking, People cursing without caring,
People shaking shoes that’re never coming clean
It seems obscene
There in the realm of bassets.
"Fools" said I, "You do not know Bassets like vandals roll.
Sit still so that I might leash you, Drop the ham! Wait 'til I catch you."
But my words like silent raindrops fell,
And echoed 'Tween the ears of bassets
And the food slaves bowed and prayed, To the furry gods they'd raised.
And the basset barked out its warning, In the "aroos" it was forming.
And the basset said, “The wishes of the houndies Are drooled on the kitchen floors
And cabinet doors.
And whisper'd in the breath of bassets.”
No comments:
Post a Comment