Thursday, February 2, 2012

A new addition makes 34!

Well it is official, we have a new member of the house. A new "Dude" has joined our clan here at the funny farm. Salt the cat has been adopted by us and is now a true member of the family.


His sister 'Pepper' went back home to her Moms house, but they didn't want Salt back. My youngest has been growing more and more attached to him, and the cat feels the same way. Where ever my son goes, Salt is right behind him, stuck following as if by some magical string. So when we were asked if we wanted to keep him we thought about it for a week or so, and we left it up to the kids. Kid one left it up to kid two because he really seems to be kid two's cat. Kid two said yes, with the biggest smile I have seen in ages. So the cat has been moved up stairs, his food, and water have a special place out of reach of the dogs, although his litter box is still down stairs. He sleeps in kid 2's room and spends time in the hockey net when he plays hockey. They really are quite the pair.

I can't really say that I am thrilled about the whole house cat thing, never owning a cat before, and having another mouth to feed, and a litter box to clean for the next 15 years or more. But the kids are pretty crazy about him, and I have got to admit, that the little guy has even grown on me. He has energy to spare, will retrieve a ball as good as any dog. He is quiet and doesn't get into stuff. He's a good cat, him and Hoover play all the time, it is so funny to watch too. Pebbles still watches him like a hawk and if given any opportunity to chase or bite him, she won't leave herself disappointed. I think that eventually they will settle in together
, either as she realizes he isn't food, or she gets to blind to see him. Who really knows which will come first.

Many people would call this a foster failure, of the sort, when you promise to look after and give a good home to another pet while looking for a home for him. Then falling in love with the critter before a new home is found. So that is what he can be called, cause he seems to fit in here just fine, and we are all happy to have him, except for Pebbles maybe, but the rest of us like seeing his bright eyes.

So as a part of being officially adopted into our family gave us the opportunity to change his name, for one, I don't really care for Salt, and seeing as his Pepper sidekick is else where it no longer seems fitting. Maybe Salt would work for a white cat, but not a grey striped tabby. So we also started thinking of names, and ones that would be easy for him to learn cause they sound a little or a lot like his original name. So we have decided on a name that seems to suit him well, and that he seems to like and respond to................. Walter, yup, Walter, that is the Dudes new name. He likes it, it is also easy for us to remember, and easy for him to come to.

We don't get mice here, but we do get house flies, and should we ever get a mouse, it is nice knowing that Walter is around and on patrol. So yes, that is the latest news, that the one animal that I said I would never own or have, is here, living in my house, and growing on me. Another member of the family to love, and who loves us, who gives us laughs and smiles. So I haven't really figured out the down side yet! Happy New Year Walter, and welcome to your new life!!

1 comment:

  1. Well, look what happens when I disappear for a while! You go out and start adopting hahaha
    I think that's great! Walter, you're one of the lucky ones dude! :)

    ReplyDelete