Friday, November 25, 2011

As the winter winds begin.....

Winter is quickly closing in on us. Our mornings great us dark, with frosted roofs and lawns. The afternoons warm up to about 1 degree, with little wind and a little bit of sunshine now and then.

The hens were still going out in the afternoons till about a week or so ago. They would all run to the camper to dust bathe underneath. Then out to stroll the yard in 2 groups, one of 5 red hens, always together, I call them the trouble makers. The other with 3 red hens, the 3 black hens, and Tracy the big white hen. They love scratching in the fallen leaves, looking for bugs and worms that surface in the afternoon warmth. I enjoy the sound of them outside, the singing of the ladies and the constant rustle of leaves. It makes me smile, apparently the neighbour was enjoying them scratching in his leaves too. Momma hen, the one who set on the 4 eggs this past spring is locked in with the Polish chicks, in hopes that she might bond with them, and regain some status when spring time comes seeing as she will be friends with the new roosters. (Fabio and Sylvester)


I had to separate the Polish and layer hens a few weeks ago. We had a few days of awful rainy, and cold weather, so I kept all the ladies inside. It was just too windy and cold to let them out. Well I guess that they got bored or angry at the little guys and began picking on them once again. I went out in the morning to discover all of the tail feathers missing from 4 of the 7 chicks. When I call them chicks, don't think of little yellow fluffy guys, these are as tall as my hens, just not as plump looking. They are still young however and are afraid of the big hens. They also still peep like a chick so the hens feel more secure when pulling their feathers out. I was shocked to see what those "bitties" did to them in one afternoon. I tried them back with the silkies, but to no avail as they tower above them, they stole their heat lamp, their food, pecked at them, and chased them into a far corner. So I ended up doing a chicken house reno that day, so now the Polish are in their own 9 x 3 pen inside the hen house, waiting till they mature a little more and the roosters begin crowing, and the hens begin to cluck. At that time, they will all be able to be together without problems. I hope!

I have been keeping rather busy, I have one end all sanded and primed on my sink. The front is in the process but I ran out of sandpaper, so it is on hold till I go and get some this weekend. I have been busy crocheting, I made a cute little basset and an equally cute little monkey. 2 more bassets to make, and 2 beagles. I have been working on my Christmas card, I finished my rough draft then changed my mind. So back to the drawing board this weekend. We had some beautiful weather 2 weeks ago, so with plenty of help from my hubby we got the new door on the "Hens Nest" it looks really great. I also got the window and door trim painted, as well as the soffit and fascia. Now I am just looking forward to getting the rest done in the spring. I have big plans in my head!

It was snowing here, we already had about 12 cm, but that has nearly all melted now. I do believe that the weather network said it is supposed to come down all tomorrow afternoon. Yay, it makes the boys really excited when they see the snow and they have to dig out their snow pants because it is getting so cold out. They are looking forward to having enough snow to get out the snow mobile. Oh and lets not forget about Christmas, what kid isn't excited about Christmas. With a month left today I am going to have to get my shopping finished! About half done, and haven't even began my baking yet! So until next time, keep warm and hug those you love! Unless it's a goldfish, might be better for him if you just "kiss his glass"!!!!

2 comments:

  1. LOL love the names of your Roos! And that's a really nice coop you have there. Wow, you most certainly have been busy! I was wondering how that sink was coming along. Can't wait to see the finished product!!
    LOL nice ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments, the sink is/was coming along, I have one end complete and the front nearly there. I keep running out of sand paper, and now I just can't seem to find the time. I will get back onto the sink when the holidays are over and done with. I still don't have my tree up!

    ReplyDelete