Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Truth About Kids and Dogs

My husband and I are parents, we have been blessed with5 beautiful babies. Two of these are "Pink" babies, our two sons aged 6 and 4 years old. They are filled with energy, honesty, and simple innocence. They light up our life together like two glowing orbs. We also have three "furry" babies. Two of these are Pekingese, "Pebbles" our 5 year old girl and "Corky" her 10 year old semi-senile father. Both dogs have the typical high class Peke attitude with brief lapses of judgement when they playfully let loose and take a round or two out of a favourite toy when they think that no one is watching. We also have "Oscar" our four year old Basset Hound whom we received at 18 months old as a rescue. He is filled with enough spirit and charisma for at least three other good sized dogs. He makes us laugh several times daily with his clownish antics and beautiful persona. These three affectionately called the "3 Stooges" are also filled with energy, honesty, and simple innocence, and all who know them would agree that they are some kind of "orb" alright.

I so far have noticed through the rearing process that children and dogs really aren't mentally all that different from each other. We must first begin by giving love and earning trust, some form of communication will soon follow evolving from the bond that is formed. My dogs can't speak like my children do, but certainly have their ways of getting a point across or asking for what they want like food, water, outside, or just a cuddle on the couch with me in the evening during t.v. time.


All of my babies expect patience and forgiveness from me, and I do my best to offer it wholeheartedly to all of them equally. From the time my then 2 year old son decided to do his "business" on the potato plants in my vegetable garden, to the time my then 2 year old Oscar decided to do "his" and left a puddle on my bed as big and cold as Lake Superior in the middle for us to unexpectedly sit on in the dark at bed time.


Of course, like all parents we have made our fair share of mistakes. Like going out for groceries and realizing upon returning home that I had locked Corky between the wood and storm door for the past 2 hours we had just spent shopping. He was totally unfazed by the whole ordeal and of course was quick to forgive ans shower me with plenty of wet kisses. I somehow doubt that I would be so forgiving if someone had done that to me.


However, I am most glad about the fact that all 5 are best of pals, and always have each other to back them up, if necessary. I know that when I find a huge hole dug in my back lawn that the dog may have actually helped to dig it, but couldn't possibly have loaded the Tonka trucks and made the castle shaped pile of dirt at the other side of the yard on their own.


I have also realized that although I will most likely bury all three of my furry babies before my boys are even off to college. That I still have the same goal for all of them. That they all remain happy, healthy "people" who enjoy and experience life fully everyday, because after all life is short, especially if your counting in dog years....


Yes, I wrote this more than a few years ago, seeing as Oscar and Corky have both since passed and my oldest son is now almost 11. This short story I hold dear to me because of the simpler time that it was, my Oscar was still around and Pebbles was basically just a pup. I hope that you enjoyed the read. This one is dedicated to my Uncle and Aunties dog Buddy who passed the other day, he will be waiting at the bridge with my Oscar and Corky, he also lead a good long life.......

No comments:

Post a Comment